Friday, January 8, 2010

What are friends for

I wrote this sometime around 2 in the morning. It could be a little more refined but I think I've put down most of what I wanted to.

You know why we need friends...
We need them to lie to us
When we can see the reality.
We need them to tell us it’ll all be ok
When we know it won’t.
We need them to blindfold us
When the truth becomes too much to take.
We need them to bandage and mend the cuts
That refuse to heal.
When the reality hurts too much
We need them to sing us a lullaby
And put us to sleep.
When the cuts bleed
And the tears flow,
We need them to stitch us up.
And when they see our hopes taking flight
And they know only more pain can follow,
We need them to chop off their wings.

10 comments:

Sameer said...

as pleased as i am to read what you generally get out of that tiny skull which makes hollow noise,i would really like teddy to see the light.
for once.
this isnt about this blog.
its for the whole clan.

Ayesha said...

I do see the light. I just don't write about it :)

Kavya said...

yeah, that really does get the whole thing across....i really liked this one, kinda struck a chord within me....
didnt get this completely though:

"Chop off their wings"
the wings of hope taking flight or the friends' wings so that they accompany you in your sorrow?
again, loved it....

Ayesha said...

Thank you Kavya. By chop their wings I meant the wings of the hopes taking flight. Our friends need to be strong enough to destroy our hopes when they know that we'll be destroyed otherwise.

Nikita said...

don't expect me to understand any of this stuff... i'm a happy time friend, remember?

Ayesha said...

@ Nikita - :)

Lalita Dhanvada Iruvanti said...

This would make a great content for a friendship card. Try selling it :-)

Ayesha said...

Maybe I should :)

Chaya said...

And someone actually said "the best looking glass is the eyes of a friend"!!!

Ayesha said...

I know :)